 Local / Australia / 11027
Re: Bricksmeat 2003 - or how not to transport large MOCs!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 04:43:20 GMT

It's hard to tell for sure of course, but looking at those MOCs I'm not
too surprised they took a lot of damage. I have successefully
transported MOCs in my checked baggage but they have all really been
very strong MOCs.

Yes, I think part of the problem was the MOCs themselves. Both were facades
and the white one in particular was pretty flimsy (especially in the open
retail shopping area at the bottom of the building), so I wasn't totally
surprised to find it had broken in transit. However, the tan building was
built like a tank by comparison; I actually lift it by putting my hands
under the first floor balcony and carry it around that way, so I was far
more surprised by the damage it sustained. But, as you say, shear was
probably the issue. Being a verandah-fronted facade, the back and the 3
floors were very "heavy-duty" interlocked bricks, but of course, the columns
of the verandahs are mostly towers of 2x2 bricks (except where I use those
tall column pieces) and this is clearly the weak point of the model and
where most of the damage did occur.

Of course, I originally did not build these MOCs with the intention of
transporting them to other cities. They have travelled across town by car on
numerous occasions just sitting in the boot or back seat of my car (all I do
is remove the greebling that could easily knock off first). I guess "air
freight survivability" will have to be a new requirement for my MOC
building. Either that, or plan to arrive a day earlier to allow time to
reconstruct them :-)

Kerry