 LEGOLAND / California / 711
Re: Plus 5, Minus 1?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 2004 03:29:20 GMT

In lugnet.legoland, Bill Vollbrecht wrote:
In lugnet.legoland, John Cooper wrote:
I was at LLCA Feb 14 and enjoyed seeing the new Block of Fame and Art of Lego
attraction. I noticed that the new park map showed all five of the new
attractions planned for this spring and summer. The opening dates are shown for
upcoming attractions.

I was looking closer at the map tonight, and see that the Spellbreaker has
disappeared from the map. I know the ride has been closed while some possible
safety concerns were addressed. I noticed that the metal tube fencing in the
ride waiting line area had been removed. At first I thought it was for basic
maintenance, but now I wonder if the ride is going to be removed.

Anyone out there have any info on the future of this ride?

I believe that the ride is being dismantled (as opposed to torn down) and being
sold and shipped to another theme park (not a LEGOLAND). There were never any
safety issues with the one at LEGOLAND California. But... there is/was another
one made by the same manufacturer that is in some park on the east coast and it
had a major malfunction.

From what I heard, the lift that raises the cars up to the top of the tower
failed, sending the cars plummeting back to the bottom. Luckily, nobody was hurt
as it happened in the morning during the daily ride safety tests. The same parts
that could of failed on the LEGOLAND one can be or was fixed, otherwise it
couldn't be used anywhere else.

The main reason LEGOLAND is getting rid of it is the looooong lines and typical
45 minute wait for a 30 second ride that never seemed to be quite the "thrill"
they had hoped. Besides, there are several rides being looked at for the space.
Eventually the path that leads up to the Block of Fame will cut off at the place
it turns toward the model shop roof. Therefore freeing up LOTS of space for
possibly more than just one ride in the old Spellbroken....er, I mean
Ballbreaker..... er, I mean SPELLBREAKER area!

Bill

I made a quick trip to LLCA today, and noticed that removal of Spellbreaker is
in full swing. The outer walls of the elevator tower have been removed, and
about 1/4 of the track sections have been dismantled. Sorry to see it go, but
hopefully the real estate will be used for other attractions in the future as
Bill indicated.