 LEGOLAND / 212
211  |  213
Subject:
Creating a webpage Was Re: 12 of my favorite pictures of Legoland, CA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.legoland, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 22:54:16 GMT

In lugnet.general, Brendan Coughlin writes:

I took a trip to Legoland, CA two weeks ago and it was a phenomenal
experience.

<pared away a bit here>

:-)  Anyway, I just got the chance of scanning 12 pictures out of 3 rolls of
film.  I just completed uploading them to my Brickshelf gallery.

Nice pics, Brendan!

The pictures that I posted were my personal favorites.  I think the main
thing that people don't understand is the scale of these buildings.  It's
truely breathtaking.  Anyway, enjoy the pictures I have posted for everyone.
Believe me, once I get my new website underway there will be a complete
section on Legoland parks...a rather large section.  I just need someone to
help me figure out how to make a webpage! :-)

Speaking as a clueless non-geek type, it isn't really that hard.  Presumably
you have a place to host your webpage.  I would find out all the info they have
first.  Often they have ways you can create webpages practically autmatically
using their webpage tools.  Unfortunately, you cannot really be creative with
these so you may find them limiting, in which case you can do what I did:

I got a decent reference book (Laura LeMay's Teach Yourself Web Publishing with
HTML 4) and dove in.  I'm sure there are lots of good books out there, but I
found LeMay's quick and easy to use.

Also if I saw a feature on someone's webpage I thought was cool, I would view
the source code to try to see what they did.  For instance, when I used the
Fibblesnork brick wallpaper for some eBay auctions last year, I saw Tom Stangl
(IIRC) was running some auctions using it, so I viewed his source code and
found out how to make the little trademark symbol when giving Todd credit
(thanks, Tom!).

And when I see a particularly nice webpage like Ralph Döring's Sopwith Camel
page

http://www.doe2.de/lego/more/sopwith-camel/index.html

I study it to see what it is that made it work so well.

The great thing is that even though I can't remember much off the top of my
head, if I had to create a webpage now, I know I could do it because now I know
where to look for the info.  And if I got stuck, I would post on
off-topic.geek-- someone here is sure to know!  HTH!

Maggie C.

fut to o-t.geek