 Off-Topic / Geek / 3210
Re: Creating a webpage Was Re: 12 of my favorite pictures of Legoland, CA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 00:02:58 GMT

Hello!

Speaking as a clueless non-geek type, it isn't really that hard.  Presumably
you have a place to host your webpage.  I would find out all the info they have
first.  Often they have ways you can create webpages practically autmatically
using their webpage tools.  Unfortunately, you cannot really be creative with
these so you may find them limiting, in which case you can do what I did:

I got a decent reference book (Laura LeMay's Teach Yourself Web Publishing with
HTML 4) and dove in.  I'm sure there are lots of good books out there, but I
found LeMay's quick and easy to use.

Also if I saw a feature on someone's webpage I thought was cool, I would view
the source code to try to see what they did.  For instance, when I used the
Fibblesnork brick wallpaper for some eBay auctions last year, I saw Tom Stangl
(IIRC) was running some auctions using it, so I viewed his source code and
found out how to make the little trademark symbol when giving Todd credit
(thanks, Tom!).

And when I see a particularly nice webpage like Ralph Döring's Sopwith Camel
page

http://www.doe2.de/lego/more/sopwith-camel/index.html

I study it to see what it is that made it work so well.

The great thing is that even though I can't remember much off the top of my
head, if I had to create a webpage now, I know I could do it because now I know
where to look for the info.  And if I got stuck, I would post on
off-topic.geek-- someone here is sure to know!  HTH!

Maggie C.

I really don't have a clue where to start with a webpage.  It just seems
like it will take forever and there are so many details to mess
with...details that I think will end up forgetting in the long run that will
be crucial to the success of my webpage.  I have so many ideas that I want
to do and I see it being absolutely perfect in my mind.  But like I said, I
just don't know where to start.  I would like to get a book but don't know
which one would work best.  At the end of my second year of college (last
year) I picked up Microsoft Frontpage 2000 which I heard was great when
creating a webpage.  Being an Architecture student, I find that I don't have
time to make a webpage.  That is, during the school year I won't have time.
During Christmas break and summer break I could do it though.

The only problem is that I am confused as to where I should begin.  Mabye
the solution is to take some sort of class or at least have someone come and
help me out personally.  I am just not sure!

Brendan