 LEGOLAND / 108
Re: Anyone going to the Galactic Challenge?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 00:58:39 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message

I believe David Michon is competing in that event - AFAIK he's the • current
national champion.  Got to meet him and his family out at Legoland this
summer, they're all great people.  Thomas, his older brother, is a two • time
national and one time international building champion as well.

Not to start conspiracy theories or anything, but are the Michon brothers
*really* that much better than everyone else that they consistently win on
merit? (I met Thomas and his dad... they are great indeed.)

Would it be in TLC interests to work with the same family more than once?
I dunno.

Hmmm....I don't know/couldn't say either.  I see a definite similarity in
style between Thomas' and David's creations though.  David, the younger,
probably derived a lot of his style from his older brother - I saw two of
their creations (both winning models) at the same location (the LDraw table
at Kidvention).  The circular roof on Amerigoround is given some
consideration in the base to David's space communications station.  Needless
to say, both of the Michon brothers are darn good builders.  As to how much
better they are than the other entrants, I can't say, because I haven't seen
the others' creations in person.

The Amerigoround is VERY impressive in person, much larger than the
impression I get from the magazine photos.  Its built off of a circular
train track and a few train motors to turn the carousel.  Very impressive
attention to detail in a larger (classic 'fig'/technic fig) scale.

As for the family, they were all four (I also met David and their mother)
very delightful people who I have been fortunate enough to become friends
with.  They spent the four days of demonstrations at Kidvention at the table
and were great to visit with and provided a good amount of help and moral
support.

When did you meet up with them??
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com