 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 573
Re: 2001 Set info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 15:11:04 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego.direct, Ka-On Lee writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Gene Weissinger writes:
exactly...
I think Todd did the right thing in responding to LEGO's wishes (formally or
informally legal).
However, LEGO should have directed this 'problem' at Target - NOT at
LUGNET...

Why would you think TLC haven't already complain to Target also?

Even if they have directed it at Target- and all their other retailers- it's
ridiculous for them to try and stick the cat back in the bag.  What possible
purpose does it serve?  Why does it benefit them to have people on Lugnet not
talk about upcoming sets?  That's what I'd really like to know.  What is so
hurtful to Lego about fans discussing these upcoming sets, which does nothing
but generate publicity, that it is worth it to TLC to actually request that we
cease and desist discussing it, thereby creating bad vibes between Lego and
their fan community?

I really have been mulling over this point over and over and over, and I simply
cannot come to a decent conclusion.  Anyone have any ideas?  Brad Justus, would
you like to explain?

I do understand that sometimes there are cases where companies must
aggressively defend certain rights or lose them.  I find it difficult to
beleive this is the case with their actions vis a vis Lugnet- otherwise, why
would there be no formal request from LSI Legal to cease and desist?  Why only
an "affable", "genial" email asking for action?  I'm not saying that politeness
isn't appreciated, and a nice accompaniment to a formal request, but my
understanding about these situations is that strongly worded legal papers are
needed to demonstrate the company's desire to defend their rights.  And to that
end, wouldn't the actions taken with Target and other retailers to reinforce
this policy be enough to demonstrate a desire to protect their rights?

So, Lego, Brad, anyone-  What's the deal?  What's the purpose behind creating
bad will between yourself and your fans?

eric