 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 572
Re: 2001 Set info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 14:53:10 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:

That's a question for Brad or LEGO Legal via Brad.  I am not a lawyer, so I
can't give you legal advice on how not to break the law or how to avoid
infringing on the LEGO company's rights.

Todd:

I realise that your best answer for this is the first thing you said here- that
you aren't a lawyer- but are you really implying that discussing this
information- in any way, in any forum- violates the law or infinges on TLC's
rights?

I didn't sign any sort of confientiality agreement with LEGO.  That's the
bottom line here.  While I do respect your request not to discuss the specific
information here on Lugnet, I have certainly shared it with my non-Lugnet
friends, and will continue to do so.

A lot of talk has gone around about the way Lego's handled this, and I really
hope that someone from Lego Direct- be it Brad or anyone else- is reading all
of this and seeing that there could have been a better way to handle it.
Trying to put the genie back into the bottle is impossible, and frankly makes
them look both foolish and draconian at the same time.  Simply saying "yes,
that is preliminary information, but it's all subject to change" and then
getting in touch with Target and other retailers to ensure it doesn't happen
again would have been a much more sensible and graceful way of handling it.
Without legal agreements, Lego can't stop us from discussing it, or make us
forget it, or go elsewhere to discuss it.  But they can make as sure as
possible that it doesn't happen in the future.

eric