 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5509
Re: Now here's a big one.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 23:50:54 GMT

"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> wrote in message
news:H85IuE.LMG@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.lego.direct, Adrian Drake writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Adrian Drake writes:
How about a UCS International Space Station?  Now that would be fun.

Oooo... I wonder how big that would be minifig scale[1]? I'd love to see • a
minifig scale set like that built with UCS quality and part quantities • :-)
And a true minifig scale Space Shuttle to go with it (sold separately)

-Tim

[1] Naturally, minifig scale means 8-wide train scale ;-)

Really frickin' huge :)  The station is 240 feet across the solar arrays,
146 feet long, and 90 feet high.  Using an extremely rough minifig scale
conversion of 1:40, we're talking 6 feet by 3.6 feet by 2.3 feet.  That
would cover a tabletop area about 4 times the size of the ISD set.

Cool!

Of course, they could go modular with it - you can build the set in the
phases of construction :-)

I *love* this idea.  In fact, TLC and NASA have a "deal" anyway (TLC is
using it to promote imagination) and TLC even when as far to match donations
received from members of the Planetary Society. They could play 'catch up'
with the current construction (release a bunch of modules at once) and then
periodically to coincide with the rest of the major missions.  In fact, it's
even better than just NASA as it is the *International* Space Station and
TLC wants to be one of the world's most recognized brand names.  It gives a
boost to space awareness, fosters a global sense of community, ties the LEGO
brand to a truly historic endevour, and it's just damn cool! It's a perfect
match.

- Joe

Hey, we can dream, right? Brad, you listening? ;-)

-Tim