 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 483
Re: Bulk Ording Downside?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 01:18:53 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Richard Marchetti writes:
The best parts parks I have scored of late have been 6097s, 6492s, and 6497s
at substantial discounts.  Larger sets, like 6097, at a good discount begin to
approximate the number of elements and prices I want from bulk ordering. 6097
for $25 USD is 2500 / 598 = 4.18 cents an element!  You get grey bricks, black
bricks, minis, etc. -- Such a deal...!

Why buy bulk?

I don't really consider discounted sets as any sort of competition for bulk.
In part, I think that what we are seeing is a bubble which is going to burst.
To some extent, right now we are flushing out a bunch of excess, poorly
distributed stock. I suspect TLC is going to start getting a better handle on
worldwide distribution (and when worldwide web ordering becomes a possibility,
much of the stock will get bought at full price, right now the problem is that
if you are outside the US or Canada, your ability to mail order LEGO sets is
pretty limited, take that limitation away, and all this excess stock is going
to start moving). Also, not everyone has equal access to discounted LEGO sets.
Here in Raleigh/Durham NC, we see considerably less than many other areas.

Remember also that a lot of the good deals we're finding currently are 3 and 4
year old sets. I don't think we're going to be finding near the quantity of 3
and 4 year old sets a few years down the line.

Frank