 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4673
Re: Why the absence of LD in their own newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 03:48:09 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
[...] To assume that TLC would abuse this forum to sneak in marketing
messages I think is simply a huge lack of respect for their intelligence.

I would argue that all of the following are examples of marketing messages:
(Which isn't to say that it's abuse in any way.  I think it's fine.)
Let's just be clear that LEGO *is* indeed here to do direct-to-consumer
_marketing_ and sales research, among other things.  Make no mistake about it.
They're a company.  A smart company.

--Todd

Just to add my two cents in here.  TLC is small-time in comparison to the
big-time marketing we do ourselves.  Think about it, we speculate on the
next release in any given line, we spread around leaked photos of upcoming
sets, when they start showing up in stores people talk back and forth about
"oh, you can find it in TRU in this city, or Walmart in that", we gush over
this fig or that new color or that new piece, and yes, we gripe about the
inadequacies real or perceived in new sets.  All of the discussion that
takes place here and in any other Lego forum is ultimately marketing for
TLC.  I have bought so many sets over the last year that I've been heavily
involved in the on-line AFOL community that I would have never bought (or
perhaps even known of) if not for discussions in these various on-line
forums.  Lego hardly needs to market (to us, they obviously have to do
big-time marketing aimed at kids and their parents).  They just have to let
us know that a set is being released and we'll market ourselves.

Bruce