 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4683
Re: Why the absence of LD in their own newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 13:52:23 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.lego.direct, Bruce Hietbrink writes:
Lego hardly needs to market (to us, they obviously have to do
big-time marketing aimed at kids and their parents).  They just have to let
us know that a set is being released and we'll market ourselves.

Right, that's the reality of discussing their product lines (of course, some
of us also speak very favorably about clone brands too, but whatever). If
TLC/Lego Direct were allowed to make "product placement" type comments in
different newsgroups from time to time that would seem like an egregious
abuse of their position -- if we are already discussing it, they hardly need
to hammer it (and you know they would).

[n.b. I agree with Bruce, the rest is more general stuff.]

If everyone could just focus on the fact that this is supposed to be a "fan"
site we'd be a lot better off.  You want the official company line? -- Go to
Lego.com. Simple. Don't EVER forget what Todd said here:
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=4663

"Let's just be clear that LEGO *is* indeed here to do direct-to-consumer
_marketing_ and sales research, among other things. Make no mistake about it.
They're a company. A smart company." -- the salient words of Todd Lehman

Noise levels in this newsgroup are high with stuff that TLC/Lego Direct is
NEVER going to answer for us.  NEVER. <------Look Again------>NEVER. So
fine. So what? Get over it.  Stop looking for TLC/Lego Direct to answer your
questions.  That's not what they are here for anyway.

In case you don't get it: WE are the lab rats in the experiment. And while
the rats might ask the experimentor where the cheese in the maze happens to
be located, the experimentor has no interest in revealing that simple fact.
Understand?

Could Lego Direct create a competing discussion forum?  Perhaps, but I doubt
one would get very far with any real open and honest discussion of how their
new stuff is poorly designed and lacking any real bricks.  Certainly, they
would be unlikely to stand for much clone talk.  Ultimately, such a forum
would tend to be heavily monitored and controlled and lacking in honesty
altogether. And while that might be good in terms of Lego.com propaganda, it
would actually not serve them very well as market research in how best to
knock-off the clone-brands (which seems to be the current trend), or in how
to improve their stuff overall.

Further, could anyone here imagine criticizing a design and then being
responded to by the designer him/herself?  I think having the freedom to say
"X" was good or bad, without making it a personal issue is an important
thing. If TLC/Lego Direct people were allowed greater posting ability here
on Lugnet they could shut down negative publicity or discussions of products
in this and similar ways.  This is but one example.

For those that want or need the inside info. -- go apply for a job with TLC
already, and leave the rest of us alone.  I mean, I like my bricks (Lego,
Tyco, and Mega Bloks -- more or less in that order) -- but I am not a
sycophantic lego zombie drooling over their product droppings.  When they do
things rightly I am enthusiastic about what they are doing, when they don't
do things very well I am just as eager to shoot down their paltry efforts.

And sure, I am a consumer of the product.  At the same time, I am
discriminating and critical.  I don't have brand loyalty to speak of, I just
like good or interesting bricks.

For Lugnet to partner with TLC in any way would be a complicated tightrope
act of some kind.  Doubtless Lugnet could use some $$$, but at what price?
Rather than criticize Lugnet's official position on independence from TLC, I
should think people would be honoring that hardline stance in the face of
what is undoubtedly strong temptation to do otherwise.  I see people getting
in Suz' face, but what about Jake's thinly veiled attempts to gain wider
access to the forums?  Did y'all miss it?  Todd even showed that there was a
way around Jake's supposed posting problem had Jake but asked (which one
assumes he did not).  So fine, Suz is not always of the sunniest disposition
(yes, I have noticed this too).  Be assured that she is protecting Lugnet
from dilution from within and without -- thank her for it, dammit!  I can't
believe the attacks made upon her instead!

Much seems to be made of the fact that Lugnet might want just compensation
for use of the Lugnet name and its brand cachet.  Everyone is acting like
Lugnet has its hand out begging for something it's not entitled to.  But
really, that's the wrong perspective on the issue -- turn the table around
and look at it the other way.  Does TLC/Lego Direct give you stuff for free?
Do they allow unregulated and uncompensated use of the Lego name? Right.
End of that topic.

End of ramble.

-- Hop-Frog