 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4688
Re: Why the absence of LD in their own newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 15:46:20 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego.direct, Richard Marchetti writes:
Could Lego Direct create a competing discussion forum?  Perhaps, but I doubt
one would get very far with any real open and honest discussion of how their
new stuff is poorly designed and lacking any real bricks. ...

While this is probably an unneeded 'me too' post, I was also thinking about
what the LEGO-run discussion forum would be like:

- Since lego.com's audience is appreciably younger than LUGNET's, every
message would need to be monitored and censored to be child-appropriate.

- There'd be no motivation for messages that show how to beat
shop.lego.com's prices, bricklink ads, secondary set resale and the like.

- Clone-talk would be off-limits.

- Criticism of LEGO's retail arm would be off-limits, as well as criticism
of any facet of corporate policy.

- Themes that have not been welcome in LEGO's product line, like
build.military, would have no place.

- Their would be no tie-in to other message boards, like in .robotics.

- It is unlikely that NNTP and e-mail gateways would be permitted (since
it's difficult to include ads in an NNTP newsreader).

I'm just scratching the surface. Additionally, I can't imagine LEGO coming
up with competition for LUGNET's set guide. Sure, they could catalogue their
own offerings, but I doubt they'd include member rankings and comments (at
least not the negative ones).

Cary

-