 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4617
Re: Why the absence of LD in their own newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:28:27 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jeff Stembel writes:
I think it is precisly these types of posts that keep them away.  Many people
post expecting answers *right now*, often on things they may not be able to
respond to.

  But Lego Direct didn't leap onto LUGNET willy-nilly without first having
reviewed the types of discussions that go on here.  Anyone (and certainly an
outreaching department of a multi-billion dollar company) could have
predicted the way that informational posts would be received, so I don't
accept that Lego Direct is simply sore about LUGNETters' reactions.
  Further, if they can't comment on something, they should say "We can't
comment on that."  The Long Silence is simply not an acceptable response and
is abyssmally poor public relations in any case.

I think everyone needs to give them some breathing room.

  Well, Suz waited a full week between her "where are you?" and her "is this
thing on?" posts, so I think she was more than patient enough.  It's not
simply that Lego Direct has dropped off the map; they've shown up elsewhere
in a significant nose-thumbing gesture.

I also think they should be able to respond to posts anywhere on Lugnet, at
the very least through two seperate accounts for official and unofficial
posts. After all, Lego's employees may be AFOLs, too, right?

  Sure!  I don't represent my employer when I post to LUGNET, so the same
could ideally be true of Jake et al.  Further, if LD employees adhere to the
TOS of each group in which they post, I don't think there should be too much
of a problem, and that's no more of a stricture than is applied to any other
poster.

     Dave!

On the other hand, maybe Lego Direct is angry at the presence of MegaBloks
supporters on LUGNET.  Those dirty clone-fans--we should lynch 'em all!