 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4601
Re: Why the absence of LD in their own newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 23:09:12 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mark Williams writes:

Mattel came to the realization about 13 years ago that they were ignoring
the adult market. Now Barbie Dolls are marketed towards children and adults.
Maybe Lego will soon realize that there are multiple markets for their
products, each has it's own needs and buying population but they aren't
uniquely independent. Lego seems stuck with a paradigm that doesn't allow
them to be flexible.

I'd disagree.  I think we've seen a lot in the last couple of years that
indicates that Lego is reaching out to the AFOL market.  Bulk ordering,
Sculptures, Legends, specials like the Super Chief and the Rebel Blockade
Runner, involvement with Brickwest and Brickfest, displays at Legoland by
LUGs.  All of these are for us.  Yes, we all want more.  Yes, we all want it
to be cheaper.  Yes, we all want inside information on what sets are going
to be released next year.  Unfortunately real world concerns kick in and we
don't get it all.  I've been pretty excited by what we've gotten, though.

Bruce