 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4600
Re: Why the absence of LD in their own newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 14:52:12 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Ahui Herrera writes:

Remember LEGO is a TOY!!!!!  It's for kids NOT ADULTS!!!!!

Look up the definition of toy (a thing of little importance, trifle). Even
if we limit the discussion of Lego items to children, this definition is far
from adequate considering the educational value the items provide.

Lego items are a creative medium regardless of the age of the person using
them. They are not merely for kids as you seem to think. They are a medium
that all generations can understand. They may be used for different reasons
depending on the age group but nonetheless they are valuable to ALL AGES,
not just children. By propogating the falicy that Lego items are only a
child's toy, AFOL's will never get the recognition that there is nothing
childish about using these items to bring their creativity to fruition.

Mattel came to the realization about 13 years ago that they were ignoring
the adult market. Now Barbie Dolls are marketed towards children and adults.
Maybe Lego will soon realize that there are multiple markets for their
products, each has it's own needs and buying population but they aren't
uniquely independent. Lego seems stuck with a paradigm that doesn't allow
them to be flexible.

Yes, some AFOL's may be acting childish. HOWEVER, Lego items are a passion
in many lives. They fill a need: the need to be creative, the need to
imagine beyond the bounds of daily life, the need to feel, the need to
interact. You get my point. But answering questions with "no comment" or "I
don't know" is akin to stating that the question is not worth finding out an
accurate answer.

As far as Suz asking why no postings, that's a fair question. Probably a
question shared by many people, hence the reason she posted it publicly. She
wasn't criticizing, just asking.