 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4401
4400  |  4402
Subject:
Slider solution in the Legends re-release of 6390 (was: Why not a cypress tree ...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 08:52:26 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mike Walsh writes:
"William R Ward" <bill@wards.net> wrote in message
[ ... snipped ... ]
The slider was originally made of the old non-electric train rails,
right?  I suspect that mold isn't available.  So they're probably
substituting tiles instead, or some other part that is available.
[ ... snipped ... ]

The old style rails are currently in production for the HP Gringott's Bank
set.  However, looking at the 6390 scans, they are not used for the slider:
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/6000/6390/6390-06.html

Indeed, the part used for the sliders in the original set was
#812 Train Level Crossing Center Rail Cap Insert
(see: http://img.lugnet.com/ld/812.gif)
This part was originaly designed for the level crossings of the 4,5V/12V
train system, to fill the gap in the middle in case your layout wasn't
electrified with those 12V conducting insert parts.

My guess is that the old slider method isn't as smooth as what they have
offered recently and want to improve on the set design.

I don't think so, part #812 has a very smooth top surface. It has a fine
texture (similar to a slope brick, but more rounded) The reduced contact
area as a result of this makes it even smoother to slide.
It's simply one of those parts of wich the mold has been discarded.

My guess for the alternative slider construction is a combination of:
#4510 Plate  1 x  8 with Door Rail
(see: http://img.lugnet.com/ld/4510.gif) and
#2653 Brick  1 x  4 with Groove
(see: http://img.lugnet.com/ld/2653.gif)

Both parts are still very common in Starwars sets.

Greetings, M. Moolhuysen