 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4142
Re: 10020 limited to 10000 sets or not?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:58:11 GMT

"Allan Bedford" <apotomeREMOVE-THIS@altavista.net> wrote in message
news:Grv7Ax.BtH@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

The sooner a LEGO Direct item becomes unavailable, the sooner that • item
begins to show up on eBay at inflated prices.  Isn't that one of the • things
LEGO Direct was supposed to help stop?

I am personally against any sort of 'Limited Edition' products.  They • only
reward people with immediate buying power and don't always end up with • true
fans.  I believe in the long run the company would do well to keep • this
terrific set in production as long as possible.  It is a good • ambassador for
their products and their image.

I'm not a train fan in the least, but I'll be buying one of these sets • for
my desk at work.

(based on the fact that LD can only have so many different sets in
production at any given time)

If the sales for this division continue to be strong, I suspect this
artificial limit of how many sets they can release could be raised or
eliminated.

Conversely, if folks know a model is 'always available', then what is
the compelling reason to buy?
Lego need to shift stock, not leave it gathering dust on the shelves
waiting for little Johny to save up his pocket money.
Limited editions is classical marketing.
I expect Lego to do more, not less of this approach.

lawrence