 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3935
3934  |  3936
Subject:
No more track power connectors??!!??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 05:23:57 GMT

I'm not generally one for complaining since I'm of the opinion that.
for the most part, Lego Direct has been doing an excellent job in
meeting our needs but....

After spending over $1000.00 in the last four months at LD, I've run
into my first annoying snag:

I'm trying to compete in rtlToronto's upcoming robotics contest which
involves building a Cartesian robot which move blocks around on a 50 x
50 gray base plate. My particular design idea calls for lots of worm
gears and racks (the 4x1 gray brick with teeth). I've used up all the
worm gears that came with my RCX's (2)/RDS (1), and several technic
models, but I need more. (I'm trying to make a screw that's 50 studs
long) I've already used up my 7 worm gears and 19 racks. After 32
years of collecting Lego, I would have thought I would have had more,
especially worm gears, but apparently not. Anyway, I went looking for
a service pack, but there aren't any with worm gears, so I called S@H
thinking that since several technic cars currently for sale use these
parts, and, since people who are missing parts can request
replacements, that I could just request a few myself. Given that I
wasn't replacing missing parts from models, I would have been quite
happy to pay for them, but S@H steadfastly refused to cooperate. I
could see it if I wanted the parts for free, or if I was claiming to
want replacement parts for models I don't have, but give me a break,
they can't be in that short supply!? It was suggested that I buy some
models that contain the parts, but most models that have them have at
most, two worm gears (and usually only one) which would get quite
expensive if you only need five. I suppose there's always Brickbay,
but I've tried to limit myself to buying only from Lego. This was a
huge disappointment.

On another disappointing / alarming note (and the intended subject of
this message), I also tried to order two 5305's (track power
connecting wire) and was told that they were no longer being sold. Not
sold out and on backorder, no longer being sold *period*. This has got
to be a mistake... I can't imagine why Lego would stop selling the
power connector. They can't seriously be expecting that everyone that
needs to replace a connector or needs an extra one, will have to buy a
speed regulator and transformer just to get one. I've built a train
layout using two double loops - one under the Christmas tree and one
near the fireplace and connected to each other with a double track.
When the switches are set to isolate two trains (a special Santa
express under the tree and a deluxe Metroliner at the other end of the
room) it is only possible to power one loop or the other. I need one
connector for each loop and now I can't buy one??!!

What gives?

Matthias Jetleb