 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3536
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 20:07:40 GMT

Hello!

(I didn't read all of the answers given to Brad's posting, so it might be
that some of my points have been brought by others already.)

What makes a legend?
First of all: The "legend" is the OLD set, the ORIGINAL. The new released
sets are just copies of these legendary sets but not "legends" themself.
Elvis is The King, not all the guys imitating him.

What kind of sets can be called "a legend"? A legendary set has to be a
beloved set, beloved because it is a beautiful model, an unique model (like
the Guarded Inn as the only civilian building in the LEGOLAND castle world),
a most wanted model because of the points said above or because it is: a
rare set.

If such a set is re-released as a 1:1 model to the original model it is not
a "legend" any more. Of course it would be still a beautiful and unique
model but it wouldn't be rare. The mystical aura is away. Where is the
thrill of finally having such a legendary set? You can order it and you get
it without any effort you were forced to make before to get it. It's boring.

This is why I very appreciate some slightly differences between an original
legendary set and its "Legend" copy. So there is the old set you can search
for and you will love when you get it, and you have the new set which makes
a good toy and is as nice as the original.
I didn't understand the complaints about hollow minifig heads and the saddle
with two clipps. Indeed, these details make the #10000 different to the
original #6067. But the #10000 is a COPY in any case. It wouldn't be the
SAME as the #6067 even if the minifig heads were solid.

So please, if you plan on any further "Legends" (and of course you do *g*)
make them as different from the original as they have to be. And make them
as different as you can.

Bye
Jojo