 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3535
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 19:01:32 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, John Neal writes:
[snip]
Even if LD recreates every printed brick, solid head and maskless helmet, • those
sets won't be the originals.  To get those one must still brave the pricey
waters of eBay.

Exactely! So if these are not the real legendary sets, it might be better to
make them noticable copies.

For example, take the recently reissued Metroliner and Club Car.  I was happy • to
see them reissued for the sakes of AFOLs who hadn't the opportunity to buy • them
the first time around, but personally, I already owned 2 4558s and 4 4547s, so • I
passed on that offering.

Same with me and lots of others: I do not need any more grey dors with stripes.
Dark grey or brown dors would have been really cool (and silver of course
too!).

But what if the Metroliner were reissued in silver (hey, just an example: I • can
dream;-) or more close to earth, what if the Metroliner had been reissued, but
all of the wheel sets were *dark gray* instead of black?  Whoa, now that gives
folks who already own one like me a reason to buy one.  Heck, that gives
everyone a reason to buy one!  Folks who never had one in the first place
wouldn't care; they never had one in the first place-- and if they really • wanted
black, well there are plenty of wheel sets out there with which they could
swap.

Be careful with your arguments, John! When I said this a while ago at
lugnet.trains it caused a small flame war. :-(

This is an example of how I think LD can kill 2 birds with one stone, as it
were, and make a lot more people happy in the process (*except* the nostalgic
and collector-types, who represent a small minority IMO).

I think the collectors are no loudspeakers. They practice their hobby in a very
quiet way, but they are out there, believe me.: they have no MOCs to present
and there is no lugnet.collectors group, so you do not get aware too much of
them. (Anyway: What should be the topic of an lugnet.collectors group? Maybe:
Came 115 with 2x2 or 2x4 plate-hook-couplings? In lugnet trains nobody could
tell so far...)

So I ask-- what is more important: fidelity to the old classics, or simply • more
of the cool sets as offered in the past?

It is my hope that we send a message to LD that sure, offer us classics, but
only because offering them is easier/cheaper/more efficient than redeveloping • a
new set, but feel free to change colors, make improvements, in order to make
them *even better*.

I agree one hundred percent! ;-))

Leg Godt!

Ben

So what about 7745 with dark grey wheel blocks and in colour orange?! Or maybe
952 farm tractor as "Ford" in blue + white?
I would buy both at once! But please - TLC - DO NOT release 375 in the way it
has been 1979. In tan it would again be a phantastic set.