 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3529
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 02:54:43 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego.direct, Lars Brandt writes:

I think Lego needs to be a little more careful with how they market and
categorize their sets.  Lego created a "Legends" line, which is suppose to
be classis sets that are re-issued.  I now believe that if you can't
recreate the line wihtin 99% of the original, then you should NOT re-issue
the model-- it's just dishonest, and would taint the "Legend" line.

Although I think Lars is being a bit extreme in calling a re-issue with less
than 99% original parts dishonest (in advertising, I presume), he does bring up
a very good point, to my way of thinking.

Even if LD recreates every printed brick, solid head and maskless helmet, those
sets won't be the originals.  To get those one must still brave the pricey
waters of eBay.

And so my question to AFOLs is: What is it from the Legends line that makes it
so appealing?  Because it seems to me that most people are praising the sets of
the past because of their complexity and creativeness *in general*, and would
want issues *in that vein* rather than *exactly* in that vein.

For example, take the recently reissued Metroliner and Club Car.  I was happy to
see them reissued for the sakes of AFOLs who hadn't the opportunity to buy them
the first time around, but personally, I already owned 2 4558s and 4 4547s, so I
passed on that offering.

But what if the Metroliner were reissued in silver (hey, just an example: I can
dream;-) or more close to earth, what if the Metroliner had been reissued, but
all of the wheel sets were *dark gray* instead of black?  Whoa, now that gives
folks who already own one like me a reason to buy one.  Heck, that gives
everyone a reason to buy one!  Folks who never had one in the first place
wouldn't care; they never had one in the first place-- and if they really wanted
black, well there are plenty of wheel sets out there with which they could swap.

This is an example of how I think LD can kill 2 birds with one stone, as it
were, and make a lot more people happy in the process (*except* the nostalgic
and collector-types, who represent a small minority IMO).

So I ask-- what is more important: fidelity to the old classics, or simply more
of the cool sets as offered in the past?

It is my hope that we send a message to LD that sure, offer us classics, but
only because offering them is easier/cheaper/more efficient than redeveloping a
new set, but feel free to change colors, make improvements, in order to make
them *even better*.

-John