 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3527
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 22:45:28 GMT

After reading the other comments from other members, I think I actually have
changed my mind a bit (I offered my comment on Friday, when you first posted
your message, now I've had a weekend to think about it).

The more I think about a Legend, I don't think there's a formula.  Using the
LugNet rating or eBay prices is about as close of a science as you're going
to get.

But the trickier question is: what if the set doesn't have the exact parts?

I think Lego needs to be a little more careful with how they market and
categorize their sets.  Lego created a "Legends" line, which is suppose to
be classis sets that are re-issued.  I now believe that if you can't
recreate the line wihtin 99% of the original, then you should NOT re-issue
the model-- it's just dishonest, and would taint the "Legend" line.

If you re-do a classis model with new parts or colors, it should be called
something else.  Lego is already mis-categorizing some sets, like the
Sopwith Camel-- it's a model, not a sculpture.  I even question the
Metroliner and Gas-n-Wash as "Legends"-- they're not that old.  Age does
have a factor in what makes a "Legend".

I think Lego should consider their integrity when handling these older sets.
To reissue "fake" originals is misleading, and as much as I hate to hear
some of these molds are gone-- I think it's better to take the high road and
not hear the complaints of the vocal minority.