 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3516
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 08:25:10 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:

First let me answer your very first question out of the subject line:

"what makes a legend?"

In my eyes a legend has at least one out of the following two characteristic
qualities:
- it is standing far over the average because it is just a "perfect set" (like
for e.g. the Sopwith Camel right now, but it is hard to say, what makes a set
perfect).
- it is desired, because of its beauty plus rarity. Those are the most legends,
like 398 constellation, 7740 TEE train, 7750 steam engine, 118 electronic
controlled train (sory I am train head: there are sets from any theme to be
added).

In my eyes re-releases of those sets make them becoming just a dead legend as
has been discussed here (the raryty is part of their state as legend):
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=12257
In conclusion of that old thread, let me repeat: in my opinion ANY change in
design and coulour is highly welcome!

[snip]
So here's my question for you all: how much compromise can you live with?
Should we just cross any older Town set off the consideration list because
we can't use the metal-axle wheelsets? Are stickers ok? How many changes are
allowed before it's not a Legend anymore?

The overall appearance should be in a way that you can recognice a set
immediately, but even bigger changes in detail+colour are no problem at all.
The more, the better.

Next year, we hope to give you at least one opportunity to vote -- from a
short list of candidates -- for the Legend set you'd like to see us make.
When we post the contenders we'll be specific about any changes we'll have
to make from the original. But it would be incredibly helpful to us now to
know how far we can go with those changes.

The bigger the better.

We've received great input from the community here, and from many of you
individually, on the direction we're taking with products coming from LEGO
Direct. We need some of that input now. Please help us make next year's
Legends everything you want them to be.

I would love a 7740 on 9V wheel blocks and (that addition is important) in
coulour bronce-gold (known from Bionicle) instead of yellow. (The real ones
have been partly painted in that golden way) When is the 50th anniversary of
the 2x4x1 brick (or something else to be celebrated)? Maybe that would be the
right time to release a golden set!

Kind Regards,

Ben