 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3512
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 00:31:52 GMT

First, let me say that although some of my comments regarding 10000, 10001,
& 10002 may have, in the past, sounded a little nit-picky, LEGENDS RULES in
every way!  Thank you!  I’ve posted some of my nit-picky comments to the
forum so that the community would know some of my actual experiences and
impressions with the services/products/etc. of LD/S@H/TLC.  Again, LEGENDS
is GREAT!

I share the general consensus of those who have already posted.  The most
important factor is keeping the spirit of the set intact.  The re-issue
instructions of the 480 Rescue Helicopter as published in LegoMania offer a
good example of this.  The rotors, wheels, doors, and front windshield are
from new molds, but the integrity of the set is kept intact (this is coming
from a guy who still has all of the original pieces & instructions from the
set he got over 20 years ago).  To me, the same idea holds true with base
plates as well.

In general, I hate stickers.  The only thing I have ever put them on is the
Sopwith Camel , a decision I still question.  If it is a matter of a few
extra bucks, I’d prefer to have printed bricks.  If it is the difference
between re-issuing the 497 Galaxy Explorer or not, re-issue the set;  I’ll
manage to survive the stickers.  It would be wonderful, however, if (as
another member commented) with ALL sets 2 or 3 sticker sheets were
included—that way if the stickers got old or trashed, or removed for another
creation, they could be replaced at a later date.

To sum up my feelings, MUCH BETTER to have a Galaxy Explorer re-issued with
*blah!* stickers, *prefer the classics*  modern helmets, and *not that big a
deal to me personally* slightly different base plates than NO re-issue at all.

I literally can’t wait for the chance to complete a survey to vote for what
to include in the LEGENDS line, so this is what I would love to see (some of
the sets are somewhat recent and might be better qualified as re-releases in
the same fashion as the Pirate and some Technic sets now offered):  497
Galaxy Explorer; 5571 Model Team Black Cat (5591 Mach II Red Bird or 5590
Whirl & Wheel would be somewhat less desirable but welcome nonetheless);
6285 Black Seas Barracuda (lets face it, the Red Beard Runner just won’t
quench the Legendary thirst); and lastly, 6339 Shuttle Launch Pad (with 1682
Space Shuttle a close alternate).

Finally, THANK YOU for the whole concept and for listening to a bunch of
obsessive fanatics!!!