 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3468
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 23:43:19 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:

snip

So here's my question for you all: how much compromise can you live with?
Should we just cross any older Town set off the consideration list because
we can't use the metal-axle wheelsets? Are stickers ok? How many changes are
allowed before it's not a Legend anymore? Where do you -- where should we --
draw the line? Is the Legend in the spirit of the overall set or in the >details?

snip

-- Brad

Brad Justus
Senior Vice President, LEGO Direct

Well, here's my 2¢:

Because I really really like older Lego sets compared to newer sets, I
personally would be willing to allow MANY changes to take place.  If you
were to release one of the old Classic Space sets, say the Galaxy Explorer
<set:497> and there were several changes, I would still buy one or two (even
though I already own 2 of them).  Another tiny change is that I remember
when a set of 2 colored 1x1 round plates came attached to a small piece of
sprue.  That would not be the case anymore, but this would not affect the
overall building experience for me, that's for sure!

I think that changes like the wheel sets like you mentioned are so minor to
me that it's a non-issue.  As long as the set captured the overall fun
feeling I used to get when opening the set for the first time and then
starting to build it, then I will buy them up.

Plus, I never owned the original Metroliner or Club Car.  Now I have both
without paying the really high prices on Brickbay or Ebay.  That right there
is worth it to me for releasing as many old sets as possible, regardless of
how many changes have to be made.

Thanks for asking our opinions!

- Bob