 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3467
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 23:29:03 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:
We're having a debate here in the ABS-paved halls of LEGO Direct that I'd
like to throw open to the community.

The topic is: what makes a LEGO Legend a legend? Or, more precisely, if we
cannot bring back a set precisely as it was (or pretty darn close), can it
still qualify as a Legend?

Hi Brad, in my own personal thoughts, to me, a LEGO Legend is a typical
classic set with (this does all depend on certain ways of looking at it,
mind you) maybe pieces that are hard to get in any other set, such as the
Guarded in does come with quite a few pieces in that catagory, specially the
red tudor walls! Or other printed pieces too.  Certain Minifigs too can make
the set a classic.  Some of the Harry Potter sets I will class as a Classic
as there are new colours and pieces that are so far not as highly available
in any other set.

Maybe you could come up with a large list of sets through the era's (from
biggest sellers to most demanded/popular) and make it into a poll of which
people here class as a Classic/Legend, without revealing any possibilities
that anyone of those sets could be the one's LEGO has in mind.

In my June announcement of the LEGO Legends series, I wrote that "LEGO
Legends are reissues of landmark LEGO sets -- perhaps the first set in a
particular playtheme, or a set widely acknowledged as a superlative building
experience, or perhaps simply a much beloved set."

eBay and Lugnet are a great place to see where and what the LEGO fans bite
at the most, such as the Metroliner always sells well and is highly sought
after.  Also the Monorail sets, but sadly we know that this won't happen :(
And other such sets too.

The first three offerings in the series -- the Guarded Inn, Metroliner, and
Club Car not only meet the above criteria, but are as faithful to their
originals as we could possibly make them. Setting aside boneheaded mistakes
like (doh!) putting an Indian horse in a medieval castle set (unless, of
course, you were going for the "Tudor Teepee" look), these three sets vary
only slightly from their honored ancestors -- minor differences, such as
"ventilated" minifig heads instead of the original solid ones are all that
set them apart.

These sets are wonderful, people may complain about this and that, but you
will never make the whole world happy no matter what you do, but you can try
to do your best, there will always be a happy customer though.

Now we are considering where we go next with this line. We've gone back to
the early 90s with the Metroliner and Club Car, and to 1986 for the Guarded
Inn. Now we'd like to dial the Wayback Machine a bit further back... and
here's where we start to run into "issues."

This line is great, with the news of no more Town sets to be released (bad
move LEGO! - If you search the net, you will find most LEGO fans LOVE the
Town theme :/ ) maybe this will be the only way to get some of those great
sets we missed out on due to childhood and our parents refusing to not buy
them for us hehe and also to keep the Town and other theme's somewhat alive.

Without revealing what specific sets we have under consideration (hey, we're
trying to maintain an aura of mystery here!), the dilemma is this: in
general, the farther back we go, the more compromises are necessary in order
to make the set. For example: the old metal-axle wheelsets? Forget it.
They're not coming back; we're stuck with the wheels we've got now.
Baseplates and road plates have changed, too --  on some of the road plates,
we use one fewer stud now (8 instead of 9) between the roads and the edge of
the plate -- which could affect the "look" and arrangement of sets using
those plates (e.g. buildings could be closer together than in the
originals). And the list goes on: unavailability of certain decorated
elements (though we could use stickers); the need to use slightly different
elements to replace an element for which we no longer have the mold; and so
on. You see the problems...

There is always the 'complaint' of certain pieces or even in the whole idea
that LEGO has reissued this set again and that maybe the same particular
pieces have changed etc, but that's life and for those who missed out on
some of these sets, this will be great, even if not ALL the same pieces etc
are not the same as the earlier pieces, I'd be thankful for even having
something close enough.  Not all those earlier pieces are entirely
wonderful, I look at some and think "this is cool, but I wish it was like
this instead" etc, If LEGO no longer have the mold then what can you do?
But if for some reason to try and get that set out we had to use something
similar then why not?  I know many will complain but at the same time there
will be a lot of happy people too.

We can bring back almost any set (but before you ask: the Airport Shuttle is
not in the cards -- there's no way to get the motors and track -- and
believe me, I'm as disappointed about this as you are). The thing is, we
can't bring them all back *exactly* as they once were. There are some sets
which are comprised largely of basic elements, with a few rarer bits thrown
in. And there are others which require compromise. And then there are those
which require a whole lot of compromise.

Bummer, just the set that most of us are drooling of :/  Ok, so if you can't
bring THAT set back, then what about something similar to it?  Monorails are
still in the future in today's towns.  It's a shame they can't come up with
a new version, even if the tracks were slightly different.  I think some
people would be quite happy just to know that at least they have ONE
Monorail, even if it's not the one's of the past.  There are Loads of sets
you could bring back *dreaming of loads of wonderful sets*  From many
theme's, I guess it all depends on what theme's you'd like to bring back
particular sets from and why.

So here's my question for you all: how much compromise can you live with?
Should we just cross any older Town set off the consideration list because
we can't use the metal-axle wheelsets? Are stickers ok? How many changes are
allowed before it's not a Legend anymore? Where do you -- where should we --
draw the line? Is the Legend in the spirit of the overall set or in the details?

The wheels, can always be found on the net somewhere, with people selling
spare parts etc, so there really is no reason to not bring out a set just
because of that, or some people may even have those older style peices in
their collection and they will just have to use them if they REALLY need it
to look the same, why miss out on such great items just because of a piece
or two?

Sometimes stickers are great, because you don't have to use them (if they
are the self applied stickers), where as others will be happy with the
marked pieces.  I think the Legend status could come down to the fact that
it is a Classic set, it has brilliant pieces, great instructions, excellent
minifigs, wonderful layout and overall a well thought out set.  Look at
other sets and think why some call them classics or Legends and ask your
self why.  You may be able to find that it's just a great looking set with
great playing and that it can also be used to make other great items too.

Next year, we hope to give you at least one opportunity to vote -- from a
short list of candidates -- for the Legend set you'd like to see us make.
When we post the contenders we'll be specific about any changes we'll have
to make from the original. But it would be incredibly helpful to us now to
know how far we can go with those changes.

Oh cool, just what I asked for :))))) (read above - top).  This is cool and
a great idea, can't wait!!!

We've received great input from the community here, and from many of you
individually, on the direction we're taking with products coming from LEGO
Direct. We need some of that input now. Please help us make next year's
Legends everything you want them to be.

There is not just the Legend's we would like you to bring back alive, but
also many ideas we'd like to see in future LEGO sets too.  If you ever need
help in knowing what to plan as far as what the fan is wanting in future
LEGO sets, then you know where to ask! :)  For years some of us have been
waiting for LEGO to release such sets, but as of yet... no luck.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks heaps, it great to ask for our opinion as those who collect and build
with this wonderful product!

Play Well!

Always.

-- Brad