 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2235
Re: The Relationship - LEGO and its Fans (was: Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 19:59:03 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Eric Joslin writes:
For whatever reason, some people here need to be constantly reminded that not
everyone who works for LEGO is a LEGO fan.  They aren't all bringing home
bricks every night and building things.  They aren't here participating out of
the goodness of their hearts.  Everything that LEGO does has one purpose:  to
increase their revenue.  They are here as part of a marketing strategy.

So, Can we all take a look at the study you have done on all lego employees?
I have yet to see any examples of how they clutter, dilute or otherwise do
anything negative in any way. Jake is a fan, if I am not mistaken he is a
member of Lugnet. It may very well be true not every employee of Lego is a
lego fan, but not every employee is posting here. And the ones who are - are
trying to help us out by answering questions *we* ask of them. I can only
recall them starting 2 threads about anything that can remotly be considered
marketing: The post about the Fort L. and the trains contest - and saying
the train contest post is marketing is stretching the truth to something
other than the truth. And as far as the Fort L. set goes -they did not have
to tell us here to sell the sets - and according to Todd, it would have been
more _cool_ and would have had a bigger _buzz_ if we read it on the lego
webpage. That is just plain fiction.

Now, we might think it's a good marketing strategy- even a *cool* marketing
strategy (a rare thing indeed!)- after all, LEGO has lately been giving us
things we've wanted for a long time- but it's important not to lose sight of
the fact that it is, in fact, a marketing strategy.

And a marketing strategy is very different than fans interacting.

So I take it you were at the big meeting they had trying to figure out how
to sell more lego to more people - That was sure a great idea they had -lets
try to sell Legos to people who already buy, and love lego! Forget about the
kids, who cares about kids? Lets go after the adult person who is already a
big fan of lego! I really doubt this ever happened, and if it did, then they
need to get a new marketing group.

If these posts harmed anyone, please explain the manner in which they harmed
you.

They haven't harmed anyone specific as far as I know, but they do water down
the purpose of Lugnet.  This has been said before, so try to take it to heart
this time:  Lugnet is a website "by fans, for fans".  LEGO employees are not
automatically LEGO fans.

Like I said before, where is your proof? Can you tell me Jake and the other
lego people posting here are not Lego fans? We are not talking about all
lego employees, we are talking about the few (what is the number 2 or 3?)
lego employees that do post here - if they alone have the power to break
down the structure of lugnet with a few keystrokes than they must be some
really strong fingered guys! And I am pretty sure if you ask the lego people
who do post here if they are fans of lego - what do you think they would
say? Does it matter what they say, no matter what they say it will be pure
marketing according to you (as a group).

This move doesn't tell LEGO to leave Lugnet completely.  It asks them to
restrict their activities to a certain portion of the server.  They can still
post *any* information they want to there.  So, I ask you:  How does this move
harm "anyone", or the community?

I will answer this with the same bs that is being thrown at us:
My time is money, and I do not have the time or money to search for a
legoland thread in the direct thread when it belongs in the legoland thread,
I do not have the time or money to search for a train contest post in the
direct thread when it belongs in the trains thread, I do not have the time
or money to search for how masks are packaged in the direct thread, when it
belongs in the bionacle thread.
Now that that excuse has been give to you - can you see what complete *bs*
that answer is????

eric

Mark P.
mfuss903@aol.com