 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2234
Re: The Relationship - LEGO and its Fans (was: Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 19:28:57 GMT

There seems to be some issue here. The Eric's (two of them) have posted
elsewhere, and have been found to 'get it' by the admin-fig.

The presence of TLC on lugnet has had some 'minor' positive effects. One case in
point, that I doubt would have happened with the input from lugnet, was the
ability to get the small white windows in bulk. Perhaps a few other parts as
well. The notification of the unexpected availability of the Fort LEGOREDO's was
a nice touch. Both of these instances have to do with TLC wanting to *sell*
something, and making the items visible/available to those who want to *buy*
them. Lubricating the machines of business.

TLC is a business. They sell things.[1] Hopefully they sell things that people
want to buy. If they operate only as a business here, then perhaps they should
do so in a business vein. If they wish to expand beyond business issues (as I
suspect that some small percentage of TLC employees might), then they should do
so as John Q AFOL. To appear to be both, is to muddy the distinction between
official rhetoric and the love of the brick.

Let us not forget that TLC created this item that we have affection for. Where
it goes from here is TLCs, and only TLCs, decision. It would be nice if we had
some input, but I'm not sure how much of the discussion/chatter here actually
has an effect. Is this where the issue flows from ?

Let us not throw out the baby with the bath water, just because the bath water
got a little dirty. [2]

Ray

[1] Disclaimer: I sell things too. But I don't have offices in umpteen
countries, nor do I have production plants or an annual revenue in 10 digits.

[2] Is anyone form the mediation office at the UN available ?

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Gary Istok writes:
I am as bewildered as anyone else here.....  I thought that there wasn't enough
interaction between LD and LUGNET as it is.  And I certainly would like someplace
within LUGNET where we (LUGNET folks) could interact freely with TLC in a total
forum, where we wouldn't be restricted by WHO we were in posting to that
forum.  I still have a million questions for LD, but I appreciate other AFOLs
interactions in these questions, because they give me additional insight into what
I am asking.  Does such a site in LUGNET now exist?

Gary Istok

<snip>