 Administrative / NNTP / 466
Re: The Relationship - LEGO and its Fans (was: Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 15:15:13 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, John Hansen writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:

Money.  They're a business.  Don't ever forget it.

Todd, you make it sound as if you think that is evil.

On the surface, yes, it sounds that way.  But I doubt he meant it that way.

For whatever reason, some people here need to be constantly reminded that not
everyone who works for LEGO is a LEGO fan.  They aren't all bringing home
bricks every night and building things.  They aren't here participating out of
the goodness of their hearts.  Everything that LEGO does has one purpose:  to
increase their revenue.  They are here as part of a marketing strategy.

Now, we might think it's a good marketing strategy- even a *cool* marketing
strategy (a rare thing indeed!)- after all, LEGO has lately been giving us
things we've wanted for a long time- but it's important not to lose sight of
the fact that it is, in fact, a marketing strategy.

And a marketing strategy is very different than fans interacting.

If these posts harmed anyone, please explain the manner in which they harmed
you.

They haven't harmed anyone specific as far as I know, but they do water down
the purpose of Lugnet.  This has been said before, so try to take it to heart
this time:  Lugnet is a website "by fans, for fans".  LEGO employees are not
automatically LEGO fans.

This move doesn't tell LEGO to leave Lugnet completely.  It asks them to
restrict their activities to a certain portion of the server.  They can still
post *any* information they want to there.  So, I ask you:  How does this move
harm "anyone", or the community?

eric