 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2185
Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 21:02:03 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mark Papenfuss writes:

are we all to wade through the posts under
the lugnet.lego to find the one post we are looking for?

Maybe, as Frank Filz said elsewhere in this thread, it would be a good idea to
keep the chatter in the lugnet.lego.* groups down.

Exactly - I think most could tell the difference between a lego and personal
post.

It's not a matter of personal vs official posts, really.  It's a matter of
where LEGO is invited to participate in Lugnet, and where they aren't.  They
aren't invited to participate in the main groups (at least, not anymore).  It's
great that LEGO wants to interface with the Lugnet community, but Lugnet is a
community of fans, not a forum for LEGO to talk to fans.  That kind of
interaction has a place in a community (in this canse, the lugnet.lego.*
hierarchy), but it shouldn't be all over the place.  That's not what Lugnet is
for.  At least, not according to the homepage ("...by fans, for fans...").

We are all aware this is a 'fan' website, but like I stated above, when we
as a group ask as many questions as we do, they should be able to directly
respond to the questions asked of them.

Yes, they should- but those questions should be asked in the lugnet.lego.*
hierarchy, not cluttering up the groups meant for fan discussion.  I just don't
see any downside to this.

I think this whole move is a Good Thing (tm).  Combined with the changes Todd
was talking about concerning who could post/follow-up to the lugnet.lego.*
groups, I think it would be an Even Better Thing (tm).

eric