 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2184
Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 20:06:19 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Jake McKee <jacob.mckee@america.lego.com> wrote in message
Additionally, I just tried to post a note about the LEGO Train Contest and
was only allowed to post it to lego.direct, and not lego.trains... I don't
know that this really helps anything. I know Tomas has been asked some
specific questions in lugnet.technic.bionicle today. Where should the
posting this thread to lego.direct, as the system won't allow me to post
to admin.nntp. This seems like it would get fairly confusing over time.

And a ROYAL pain in the rear - are we all to wade through the posts under
the lugnet.lego to find the one post we are looking for? If they are talking
about trains, masks, or whatever - then they should be able to post in that
thread just like the rest of us. When we as a group ask as many quesions of
and to lego as we do, then they should be able to directly respond in the
thread the question was asked - that would be an offical post, right? But
more importanly, it will directly belong in that thread - but will not be
allowed to, i just do not see the reasoning behind this.

This concerns me too, I'd appreciate knowing reasons for this change.  I can
understand confusing a lego.com address with an official post, and that
could be a major factor, but right now I think that the nature of posts from
employees and their sig generally indicate whether a post is speaking for
the company officially or not.

Exactly - I think most could tell the difference between a lego and personal
post. But, I can not recall offhand (not saying it has never happened) a
LEGO employee posted a purley personal post. They have been really helpfull
up to this point. But they should be able to post anything they like whever
they like.

I am really confused about the direction you are wanting to take with this
move. Are you not wanting LEGO employee/fans involved with the
community except in an official capacity?
Basically, I think that all of the AFOLs at LEGO Direct are looking for a
little more background on this move, as it sounds like several of the
community members are as well.

Yes, because it took everybody by surprise, and a shock - you even kinda
excluded the LEGO employees fronm this convo - you asked for it to be
followed up to a thread you will not allow them to post in, so they had to
move it into a thread where it does not belong at all according to the rules
- but they had no choice. Is somebody going to jump on them for posting in
the wrong thread? I know its happend to them, and to me before - so can they
not reply to this? It directly concerns them, they should be able to answer
in whatever thread the post is in under whatever email they have, they are
following the TOS, so why restrict them?

I think that the community should be composed of both fans and employees who
are fans and shouldn't be under such regulations, except for a very good
reason.  If employees can clarify the nature of their post (official v.
unofficial casual posts) without having to change accounts, or if there is
an easier way to change posting addresses, that would be great.

We are all aware this is a 'fan' website, but like I stated above, when we
as a group ask as many questions as we do, they should be able to directly
respond to the questions asked of them. And you even asked them to post a
link to the bionicle (sp?) lugnet group on the offical lego bionicle (sp?),
then the next day you restrict them - huh?

I know *I* get confused by when you're (Todd) speaking officially and when >you're not. (signing "-news admin" like you did at the start of the thread >makes it very crisp, though) I'm sure you'd agree that using a different >posting identity (email address) for when you were speaking officially would >be awkward for you as well.

Maybe you should use different email addys in your posts also - like this
type would use one and your personal posts use a differet, personal email
addy, because its almost the same thing that you are restricting them for.

So Ashley can no longer post in the legoland thread? If so, I do not see why
not - he gave us good information and it would not belong in any other
threads - and it was official lego(land) information.
According to someone who worked for Ashley at LEGOLAND California, Ashley
doesn't actually work for LEGO anymore.  If other LEGO employees wish to
post there officially, we'll reexamine the issue.

So if he posted using his Lego addy, then it would be a direct violation of
the TOS, then you should deal with that if the time ever comes.

Try not to think of it as a restriction so much as harder lines about where
LEGO employees are invited to post in an official manner.

The difference is.....? Wording?

and the sanctity of the theme groups is vitally important.  It's not >necessary for LEGO to participate in the theme groups (for example) to have a >presence here.
True, but how would them answering a question asked of them in a certian
thread in that thread break the "sanctity" of that thread?

I may be wrong about this - but it seems to me the fact that LEGO direct has
come here, your toes have really been stepped on, but like I said, I may be
wrong - thats just my take on this entire situation. But I just can not see
any other reason for the actions I have seen from you concerning people with
'lego' in their email addy.

I look forward to hearing back from you Todd.
-Tim
As do I
Mark P
mfuss903@aol.com

follow-ups to both lugnet.admin.nntp AND lugnet.lego.direct, so the people
we are talking about can be included in the convo.