 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2181
Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 17:23:33 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:

Remember that LUGNET is a site by fans, for fans -- and the
sanctity of the theme groups is vitally important.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "sanctity"? I'm sensing that there's
some problem here that you're more aware of than some of us. It may be that
it's too sensitive to go into, so that's fine if that's the case. But my
perception was that "official" participation in theme groups was beneficial.
However I may not have all the data.

I for one would be interested to hear the details on this... neither Tomas
or I are really sure what happened to cause this change.

Requiring that people post using a non lego ID to participate elsewhere
seems awkward <snip>

This is extremely awkward. When I first came to LEGO, I actually asked Todd
about getting a secondary account setup so that I could have two identities
on LUGNET. The response was that this was unnecessary and that if I wanted
to separate the two, I could log in with a different email address...which I
have tried and never really gotten to work very easily. Todd, I have noticed
that you have used two different email addresses in the past, can you fill
us in on how you can easily do that?

Additionally, I just tried to post a note about the LEGO Train Contest and
was only allowed to post it to lego.direct, and not lego.trains... I don't
know that this really helps anything. I know Tomas has been asked some
specific questions in lugnet.technic.bionicle today. Where should the
posting this thread to lego.direct, as the system won't allow me to post to
admin.nntp. This seems like it would get fairly confusing over time.

I am really confused about the direction you are wanting to take with this
move. Are you not wanting LEGO employee/fans involved with the community
except in an official capacity? If you are wanting them involved, but under
a different identity, can you help to make the process of posting from
separate identities easier?

Basically, I think that all of the AFOLs at LEGO Direct are looking for a
little more background on this move, as it sounds like several of the
community members are as well.

I look forward to hearing back from you Todd.

Thanks!
Jake
---
Jake McKee