 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2214
Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 06:39:16 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jake McKee writes:
I for one would be interested to hear the details on this... neither Tomas
or I are really sure what happened to cause this change.

Nothing really in particular.  Yesterday's events were certainly a catalyst,
however.

Requiring that people post using a non lego ID to participate elsewhere
seems awkward <snip>

This is extremely awkward. When I first came to LEGO, I actually asked Todd
about getting a secondary account setup so that I could have two identities
on LUGNET. The response was that this was unnecessary and that if I wanted
to separate the two, I could log in with a different email address...which I
have tried and never really gotten to work very easily. Todd, I have noticed
that you have used two different email addresses in the past, can you fill
us in on how you can easily do that?

I filled out the news-posting setup form...

   http://news.lugnet.com/news/post/setup/

...once for each of my email addresses, and then I change the setup in my
newsreader (and then back again) if I need to post from the alternate
address.

Additionally, I just tried to post a note about the LEGO Train Contest and
was only allowed to post it to lego.direct, and not lego.trains... I don't
know that this really helps anything. I know Tomas has been asked some
specific questions in lugnet.technic.bionicle today. Where should the

In one of the .lego.* groups, yes.  Not necessarily .lego.direct, but it's
up to you.

I am really confused about the direction you are wanting to take with this
move. Are you not wanting LEGO employee/fans involved with the community
except in an official capacity?

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/nntp/?n=386  (third paragraph)

If you are wanting them involved, but under
a different identity, can you help to make the process of posting from
separate identities easier?

If your newsreader or web client supports multiple profiles, it's trivial.
But if not, wouldn't the official postings come from machine A at work and
the unofficial AFOL postings come from machine B at home anyway?  Or are you
on a laptop?

Basically, I think that all of the AFOLs at LEGO Direct are looking for a
little more background on this move, as it sounds like several of the
community members are as well.

http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=2185
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=2189
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=2201