 LEGO Company / 423
Re: Question about recycling Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:03:00 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Wayne Sardullo writes:
I'm not exactly sure if this is something that has ever been asked but, has
LEGO ever considered a recycling program for older used bricks... While the
business side of something like this isn't totally profitable it could at
least reuse resources that already exist.

I asked that question when I was touring their factory several years ago.
(One of the coolest benefit of the years I spent as a LEGO employee -- being
able to tour the factory!  I was holding bricks in my hands while they were
still warm out of the moulding machine!  <sigh>  )

Anyway, the response was that they couldn't get the quality of bricks that
people expect, if they used recycled plastic.  Their current moulding
process reuses the 'tree' pieces, there is a readout of what percent is
'new' plastic, and what percent is the recycled 'trees'.  If the numbers get
outside a certain range, the quality drops.

And we all know how much we expect our new bricks to work perfectly, every
time...

JohnG, GMLTC