 LEGO Company / 40
Re: Sticker Shock...Lego Direct?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 20:18:17 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.lego, Gary Istok wrote:

richard marchetti wrote:

I had to call the Consumer Affairs people to replace some old black wheels
... they charged me
$0.40 USD an element which I was happy to pay.  But, I think this may stand • as
a measure of what Lego Direct prices may be like for specialty parts (not
common bricks and such, hopefully!)-- they will not be sold for $0.05 and
$0.10 each as some people seem to believe even if they are sold in bulk.  I
guess this may present us with the problem of say Cypress Trees being $1 • each -
- I am not sure I can or want to buy 1000 of these in bulk at such a price.

I think that you "hit the nail on the head" Richard.  They aren't doing this • for
charity.  They are doing it to make money.  And if it involves labor • intensive
processes, you can bet that the 5 cent parts will only be found in the • buckets and
tubs.  Don't expect anything less than 10 cents - even the 1x1 plates.

It all depends on how it's handled.  If I'm buying true bulk (thousands of
pieces), I don't want LEGO to count out individual pieces -- weighing my
purchases will be close enough, and is a heck of a lot cheaper than paying
a packing-monkey to count bits.  We know TLC can weigh groups of parts very
accurately.  But their equipment is designed to weigh thousands of
identical lots.  Can they handle weighing out one-off lots?

Anyway, even if they can't use their super-accurate production machinery,
it seems like buying pieces by the pound should be pretty darn cheap, as
long as the margin of error is understood.

I'm hoping they'll have options to buy truly boggling amounts by weight, at
low prices.  Slightly more down-to-Earth quantities could be had by
part-count, but at a significantly higher price, per part.  At least,
that's what I'm hoping for.

Steve

I know I for one will NOT pay more than $0.05 for any piece unless it is
something like 1/4 dome/saucer pieces.  Then again I doubt I would order less
than 5,000 of anything either.  I would be more than understanding if they say
we can't garuntee exactly 5,000 pieces and have a 20 piece variation or so.  I
also think that TLC would make MORE money this way.  i.e. by simply selling to
more people rather than charging something outragous like $0.25 for 1x1 plate.