 LEGO Company / 3043
Re: A Community Problem (Was: Re: 10152 Update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 21:38:48 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Mike Walsh wrote:

"Larry Pieniazek" <larry.(mylastname)@ascentialsoftware.DOT.com> wrote in
message news:I96Ln0.1GsL@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.lego, Dave Schuler wrote:

<snip>

If TLC's actions (color change, Bionicle, 10152 re-release, <insert your
favorite TLC action here>, etc.) bring you so much unhappiness into your
hobby, then it is probably time for you to take step back and decide whether
LEGO is a good hobby for you.  In the grand scheme of things hobbies are
supposed to be fun and a welcome diversion from every day life.  If your
hobby has now gotten you so wrapped around the axel that you don't enjoy
then you should stop.

Mike

Really, thanks guys.  I appreciate the support.  This is the LEGO User Group
NETwork, and this is why I'm here.

Beyond that, for the 3+ (almost 4) decades of fun that TLC has provided by their
product I had to say something.

Here's one little ancedote about my dealings with TLC.

I love the Mindstorms sets--I love building robots.  I went so far as to build a
'bot to 'play' Everquest, and lent that 'bot to a friend.  He had that 'bot
running almost conitinuously for 2+ years--basically 2 motors pressing keys on
thekeyboard at specific times.

As well, I have used other Technic 9v motors 'over and above' the probably
recommended way, such as getting 18 volts (pure LEGO solution without modifying
any bricks/plates/battery boxes--if you're interested, drop me a line--I snivved
the idea from other people, but that's neither here nor there)--so out of the
25-30ish 9 volt motors I've purchased in sets for the past number of years, I've
actually broken or wore down a few.

I've never, by the way, sent any of my well-used motors back for
replacement--taht'd be wrong.  But what has happened to 3 of the motors, is
that, after a few weeks of normal use, they just got stuck and wouldn't spin
anymore.  After the first one got stuck, me, being who I am, took the motor
apart to see what's up with it--turns out that the magnet just seemed to
disintegrate and the coils were rubbing against all the bits of metal at the
back.  Didin't worry about it too much because I had 20+ other motors at the
time, some running almost continuously for over a year.

After buying more RIS's and such, I found that two other motors went on me.
Freinds at rtl said that I could send those back and TLC would exchange 'em.  I
was really shocked that TLC would do so.  But I gave it a shot--I packed up the
teo non functioning motors in a padded envelope and sent them off to TLC.  As
well, I threw in all the bits and pieces from the motor that I took apart with
an accompanying letter that stated that they might want to throw these busted
motors over to someone who could examine and maybe prevent such 'magnet busitng'
in the future.

Now friends, I expected that I woudln't get any replacements, because, to me,
the motors were used by me--I mean they had some scratches and such so they were
obviously used.  And I especially didn't expect that I'd get a replacement for
the motor I took apart--I mean, no company in the world has ever given me a
'refund' or replacement for something like that.

Yet, a few weeks later I received a package from TLC with 3 brand new 9 volt
motors, with an accompanying letter apologizing--APOLOGIZING--for any issues
arising from the busted motors.

Yeah, pretty much a class act from a company that has provided me with many
years of joy and fun.

Sure there will be mistakes and issues.  Life is like that.  I had a very polite
'nasty' letter sent to me years ago from TLC's legal department.  THis isn't all
honey and roses--TLC is a business, and, as such, will do what is in the best
interest of trying to eek out a living in these times where other companies
don't seem to care as much for quality or community relations.  I have
personally experienced that poor quality of TLC's main competitor--minifig hands
breaking when I try to insert a sword.  I mean this was me putting the set
together--not my 6 year old nephew who is a little hard on things.  Plates
breaking as you try to snap them together--again, me using the same techniques
I've been using for LEGO construction over the past 37 years.

I'm sory, almost everytime I've been asked to help nephews put together their
newest clone set, I've had bad experiences

Anyway, this is just the tip of the reasoning why I really appreciate my chosen
hobby and am more than willing to cut TLC a little slack if the situation
warrants (and this Maersk thing is not even a situation where one has to cut TLC
slack--they're perfectly in the right)

Beyond that, hope everyone has a safe and joyous holiday season.  I know I'm
hopeful that my family has finally gotten the clue after 37 years that I really
like LEGO and I might actually get a few sets for Christmas this year for a
change.

Dave K