 LEGO Company / 3040
Re: A Community Problem (Was: Re: 10152 Update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:14:04 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <larry.(mylastname)@ascentialsoftware.DOT.com> wrote in
message news:I96Ln0.1GsL@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.lego, Dave Schuler wrote:

[ ... snipped ... ]

The above is not just the DMAS (Dave Mutual Admiration Society) speaking, • there
are a lot of other people on LUGNET that feel the very same way, myself
included.

You may disagree with his interpretation of these events, but it's • hardly
necessary to impugn his integrity along the way.

I totally agree with this, well said, Dave!

I too agree with Dave Schuler and Larry.  I really applaud Dave Koudys for
continuing to be a voice of reason on this topic and sticking his neck out
time and again to outline the facts to people who refuse to acknowledge them
for whatever reason.

I really don't comprehend the outrage people have on this topic.  I don't
view the original statements regarding the release of 10152 as any sort of
promise from TLC but rather a simple statements of the facts surrounding its
release at the time of its release.  They used up the Maersk pellets they
had on hand and had no plans to aquire more.  I truly believe the situation
to be that simple and based on the facts as they were known at the time the
set was released and posts to LUGNET and 1000Steine were submitted.

Business climates change and companies must change or they will fail.  In
the case of the re-release of 10152, TLC didn't do anything different than
most large multi-national companies do.  They have partners and do special
things for them which they might not do otherwise.  I am sure the
conversation went something like this:

Maersk:  Hey LEGO, we want to get some more of those Container Ships.
TLC:  We don't have any more.
Maersk:  Can you make more?
TLC:  Well, we could but we used all of the Maersk blue ABS stock we had on
hand doing the last run.
Maersk:  Can't you just by more?  It's just ABS right?
TLC:  Because the color was designed to match the Maersk blue and
historically our agreement with Maersk has prevented us from using it in
production sets, it doesn't make sense for us to buy the raw ABS pellets.
Maersk:  What if we buy them for you?
TLC:  I guess that would work.  It will be expensive in a low volume though.
Maersk:  No problem, we'll absorb it as part of our marketing budget.  This
ship works well with our promotional efforts and has been well received by
our customers.
TLC:  Ok, we'll get to work on it.

Now I am sure this is an over simplication of the dialog between Maersk and
TLC but I'd guess it isn't too far from what really happened.  A lot of the
intangible costs (set design, instruction development, BOM management, etc.)
could be re-used from the last run so the cost to run it again were probably
pretty low and limited to just ramping up production.  Developing a new set
means going back and touching the whole set design and development process.
Probably not cost effective either.  Because the set was done recently, the
instructions and other MRP related items are probably still compatible with
how LEGO produces sets today (unlike say 1831 which was produced 10 years
ago).

There is no shortage of TLC decisions for people to question.  However,
IMNSHO, the uproar over the re-release of 10152 is not one of them.  Verbage
posted at the time of release of 10152 doesn't make it limited or imply a
promise that it is.  Had the packaging noted otherwise (like the Super Chief
box did) then people would have a valid complaint.  But it didn't.  The
package carried no sort of tag and as such, people took some facts posted by
LEGO employees and drew a conclusion that 10152 was a limited edition set.

If TLC's actions (color change, Bionicle, 10152 re-release, <insert your
favorite TLC action here>, etc.) bring you so much unhappiness into your
hobby, then it is probably time for you to take step back and decide whether
LEGO is a good hobby for you.  In the grand scheme of things hobbies are
supposed to be fun and a welcome diversion from every day life.  If your
hobby has now gotten you so wrapped around the axel that you don't enjoy
then you should stop.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com