 LEGO Company / 2998
Re: A Community Problem (Was: Re: 10152 Update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:42:54 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Ken Nagel wrote:

   I’m pretty sure the duck wasn’t marketed as a “limited edition of 10,000”.

I’m pretty sure that the 10152 wasn’t either. This whole thing seems to turn on a mistranslation more than anything else. That’s pretty funny at one level, actually.

Most of the rest of the difference appears to be cultural, we seem to have a culture of collectors that value different things than other collectors do. I’m a collector and I’m proud of my collection. But I collect for my own reasons, not because I care about how limited something is or because I expect my stuff to have a higher value later. Collectors that care about the extrinsic value more than the thing are just not understandable to me. Unless this is all a front to placate their NLSOs about how much they spend or something?

   It really matters not what their excuss is if they changed their mind they could have changed the model.

At some non zero cost. How much more would you pay for the second one to cover that cost? LEGO is losing money. Advocating that they waste it to placate you is at best asinine.

   Their move was compleatly unethical and problably leaves them open to a class action law suit.

It would be a terrifically sad day for the legal system if that came to pass.

But more seriously, listen to yourself. It’s a toy. Get a grip and get over yourself. Seriously.

LEGO owes you NOTHING. And you owe LEGO nothing either, except that if you want to buy their stuff, feel free, and if you don’t want to buy it, also feel free.

This conversation has run its course and then some.

Those of you that insist on prolonging it (no longer referring to Ken directly) are lucky that LUGNET is not moderated, and that there hasn’t been much community support for giving argumentative and belligerent people timeouts when their bile level rises beyond reasonable levels and they start saying hateful things.

XFUT debate