 LEGO Company / 2997
Re: 10152 Update: What has TLC to do to bring YOU up against them?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:22:25 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
In lugnet.lego, René Hoffmeister wrote:

Dear René,

thanks for bringing these postings into the debate. Facts are: LEGO gave a
promise and broke it (because they think they can generate profit out of this
decision).

Wrong.

TLC stated that they had old Maersk Blue pellets and 'wouldn't it be nice to
give the AFOL a really cool set and use up the pellets at the same time'.

Why should that negate future contracts?  It was a business decision made at the
time using the data at the time.  No one here has a crystal ball for what might
happen in the future.

Fact number 2 is: lots of people do not care at all about this (and those are
often enough ok with bley and other controverse decisions as well) - as far as I
can see it.

Fact is that people who are fans are getting as yippy as those that are
fanatical about their hobby because, for myself, we're sick and tired of the
tail wagging the dog.  We're sick and tired of people who think they have every
right to dictate to a multi-national corporation how to operate 'the business'
because those people have purchased a few thousand dollars worth of bricks over
the years.

Now I do wonder: WHAT EXACTELY has TLC to do to make these people criticize the
companies decisions? Change to metric system and make the brick size 1 cm
instead of 0.8 cm?

TLC could disappear tomorrow and I'd still be happy.  Not as happy as I am
knowing that they're still around, but happy anyway.  Why?  Because I still ahve
my collection.  I still have my hobby.  I bought the sets willingly, without
threat of coersion nor entered into a binding contract with TLC stating that
they must adhere to what I want in the future.  I bought what I want and am
happy with my purchases.

This is a question I really have at the hard core fans of TLC: What could make
you unsure in your fanatic love to the company and their decisions?

I was not to happy about studless technic beams.

Yeah, that back hoe really does suck.  Man, what were they thinking?

I was slighly fed up about doorless cars of town junior.

Don't buy 'em

I am somewhat fed up about drastically decreased quality.

I have pieces from the '70's that would shock you with the apparent lack of
quality--differing heights of bricks, variable thickness walls, really bad
stuff.  In my own opinion, TLC has increased the quality of their bricks.

I am really fed up about bley.

Don't buy them

I think galidor and Znap were flops.

And I' sure that TLC, by the fact that they aren't producing them, may agree
with you.  That said, it was their business decision, and they made it.  Tell me
you haven't made a mistake in your life.  Further, I have a really neat train
bridge at home made entirely of Znap--'tis amazing how compatible the stuff is
with the LEGO brick.

I am fed up about the explanation given for bley.

And I'm fed up with people who still whine about it.  They heard you and they're
sticking to their decision.  Life goes on.

I dislike the pigtone minifigs.

Then don't buy them.

no one is forcing you to purchase products produced by TLC.  Not me, not anyone
on LUGNET, no one anywhere.  Want to know why Znap and Galidor were
discontinued?  No one bought them.  Want to know something else that I find more
amazing?  In spite of all the furor and ill-will that I read here at LUGNET and
saw with many AFOL's about Bionicle, guess what's generating some of the
greatest revenue for TLC?  So from me to you, all this "I hate this" or "TLC
sucks for changing that and they should listen to me!"... Nope.  Really, why
would they?

Again, in my opinion, I think that when TLC hears something about the AFOL
community these days, they think of a bunch of ranting fanatics, because that's
what you demonstrate with posts like this--Rabid fanaticism, and you're not
helping your cause one iota.  This attitude, again in my opinion, decreases the
chance of some executive taking you seriously.  I'm fed up listening to the
rants--why wouldn't they be?  And the only reason that I'm spending effort on
this is because I also realized that bad things happen when good people don't
speak up against the fanaticism.

I disklike the too many tank-vehicles of the LEGO police.

Don't buy them

I am fed up about lies (I see no difference between a broken promise and a lie).

And I'm fed up with your spin of the situation.  There were no lies.  At the
time, the decision was based on all available information.  In a business, that
decisions made like this do not negate future contracts.

Could be continued....

But more interesting: what would fed up YOU (especially if you are still a 100%
supporter of TLC)?!

I'm not a 100 percent supporter of TLC.  I don't buy Jack Stone, I didn't buy
Galidor.  Off the top of my head, I can't begin to list the other things I
haven't bought.  I buy what I like, and don't buy what I don't like.  TLC gives
us (now more than a few years ago, to be sure) a virtual smorgasboard of
products from many different lines.  Buy what you want to buy, and don't buy the
others.  If you don't like any of the new sets at all because of your issues
with bley and pig-tone and tank treads, then for the love of all things, don't
buy them!  Vote with your pocketbook!

Kind Regards,

Ben

Take care,