 LEGO Company / 2953
Re: Interesting point of view, Rene!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:47:24 GMT

In lugnet.lego, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, Christian Treczoks wrote:
   Well, the combination of non-adherence to advertised values of the product and the legal endowment to return an item for refund if it does not match previously promised core properties could really lead to a case here (IMHO, IANAL).

What constitutes actual advertising versus an employee stating something incorrectly?

It was correct, until TLC decided to make it incorrect by consciously changing their mind.

   Was the phrasing of the post on 1000steine run by Lego’s legal department, just as a paid advertisement would be? If they had instead said “This MIGHT be your last chance to buy Maersk blue”, would that change your mind 100%?

I think so. Then we would have recognized it as the typical BS advert hype which we all know to ignore.

   Or, if after saying that the last run was limited, that there were currently no plans to do another run, hence implying that there COULD be plans in the future for another one?

Are you by chance a lawyer, Dave? If not, maybe you have the mind to become one;-)

   At the end of the Day, it is propably all down to the Good Thinking(TM) that is happening in the upper levels of a certain company all day and night.

I’ll say! They’re trying to save money, and rather than go through their existing stock of ABS dark-blue, they got someone else to buy it for them! Awesome! At the same time, fans will be happy to get more Maersk blue! Awesome! Maybe some will be dissapointed that there’s no dark-blue set coming out (although they could still decide to make that set). Oh well. Overall: Awesome.

You forgot: Can’t trust anything they say-- Brutal.

   The only downturn for me is that now the set returnd in that ugly baby-blue (my opinion, nobody is forced to share this), chances for the dark blue version (which I would have bought for the dark red and blue, despite the bley in the set, which means a lot!) are approaching zero.

See, this is the sort of attitude that I just don’t get. Lego doesn’t have to tell us ANYTHING. THOUSANDS of decisions like this go on daily at Lego, which would create THOUSANDS of depressed AFOLs at hearing their favorite ideas get cancelled and turned down. What if they had been planning to re-release a classic space set, but had later decided against it? People like you would be FURIOUS to hear that. But what if they never told us that that’s what they were planning? They’d be more-or-less content. Certainly not screaming.

Fine. So don’t say “it’s limited”, or “last chance to get Maersk blue” or “the winner is dark blue, the next color of the 10052”. I would rather they DIDN”T SAY ANYTHING than say things that may or may not be true!

   Having communication with Lego means hearing about decisions that later change.

Then they should say that! “This might be the last chance to get Maersk blue because we have no more Maersk blue pellets left and no plans to create more!”

   Insider info that we’re privilaged enough to get. Would you prefer it if Lego just shut up and didn’t tell us anything?

BINGO. Just the facts. And no deceptions. Is that too much to expect?

JOHN