 LEGO Company / 2948
Re: Interesting point of view, Rene!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:51:32 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Christian Treczoks wrote:
Well, the combination of non-adherence to advertised values of the
product and the legal endowment to return an item for refund if it does
not match previously promised core properties could really lead to a
case here (IMHO, IANAL).

At the end of the Day, it is propably all down to the Good Thinking(TM)
that is happening in the upper levels of a certain company all day and
night.

The only downturn for me is that now the set returnd in that ugly
baby-blue (my opinion, nobody is forced to share this), chances for the
dark blue version (which I would have bought for the dark red and blue,
despite the bley in the set, which means a lot!) are approaching zero.

Whatever you do, wether you bought ist or not, Lego managed to kick you
right into the face. Again. And don't come again telling me that I am oh
so negative of Lego. Events like this really leave no choice.

Yours, Christian

I wonder if the car companies go thru this when they released the PT Cruiser or
the (hopefully upcoming) Dodge Charger

"You promised me that this was the last model year of this vehicle!!  I invested
all my money into it and now, 20+ years later, you re-released it!!  All my
money was for naught!!"

For the love of all things--I'm fast approaching 0 sympathy for those folks that
buy LEGO sets just for the sake that 'someday' the sets'll be worth more.

My uncle collects stamps.  He loves 'em.  That said, he doens't get his knockers
in a bunch if stamps get re-released--it's part and parcel for collecting.

I hope to high heaven that LEGO re-releases the Galaxy Explorer and any other
set that some folks who still have dozens MSIB so they can watch the "collector
value" plummet.

TLC is not here to make your 'collector' lives easier.  They are here to make a
fine quality product for kids and adults that still appreciate the fine quality
product.

Again I say, if you're so upset by what is probably a sound business decision fo
the company, but not a sound business decision for whiny collectors who have
little respect for the product beyond the market value of 'collector sets', then
stop with the LEGO already.

This also factors into those that really hate the colour change as well--"I've
invested hundreds (or thousands) of dollars into collecting 'old grey' and now
that collection is worthless!!"  If you can't find the real worth in hundreds or
thousands of dollars worth of previously purchased LEGO bricks, no matter what
the company does today or in the future, then you obviously have missed the
point of LEGO in the first place.

Since I've actually started keeping track of my LEGO purchases in 1999, I've
'invested' more than $10,000.00 into my LEGO collection (small by some standards
of those around me), and i'm not including the bricks I've acquired from 1969
thru to 1999.  My LEGO collection, to me, is worth far in excess of what I
bought 'em for 'cause of the hours and days and months and years of me creating,
building, hhaving fun, talking with buddies, doing shows, whatever.  As far as
hobbies go, it's one of the best that I've ever partaken in, and, even if the
company folds tomorrow, my collection will keep me happy for the rest of my
life--37 years of proven happiness so far and there's nothing that TLC can do
that can take that away from me.

Life's too short to dwell on things that make you unhappy.

Dave K