 LEGO Company / 2359
Re: LEGO Brick Masters Launches!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 03:47:58 GMT

In lugnet.lego, David Gregory wrote:

180 pieces--that's more than originally planned.  (You said 150 at BrickFest,
right?)  The lego.com site says, "180 great LEGO pieces to build all the models
you have designed on your computer (one model at a time)."  Does this mean we
could build a model in Digital Designer, then pick 180 pieces out of that model
for LEGO to make and send to us?  If that's the case, and we can pick any
currently produced pieces in any current color, then THAT ROCKS!  I'm not really
sure what the "one model at a time" part means though.  Does it mean that if you
order less than 180 pieces for a model, you have to wait for them to be made
before you can order pieces from another model?

It simply means that you will get a pile of 180 elements and once you design a
model in LDD, you can turn to your pile and build that model. I'm not sure why
the "one model at a time" was included, but I imagine it's just to make sure
people understand the scope of what 180 elements might cover.

As far as year 2 goes, I'm not sure that much thought has been given to this
yet. We have to first get year 1 going successfully before we'll even know if
there'll be a year 2!

And regarding the question/desire/request/demand for Mac software...

Creating software for more than one platform (doesn't matter the platform,
doesn't matter the software) costs money. We can argue/debate/discuss the amount
of money, the length of time, and the amount of people and effort involved until
we all pass out, but we can't argue that it costs money. Additional work ALWAYS
costs more money.

And knowing that developing software costs money, we simply MUST decide what our
priorities are. When you look at stats on LEGO.com and see that more than 98% of
the traffic is from Windows and IE, we have to assume that our money is best
spent developing Windows based software.

I know that this leaves some of  your out in the dark, but I'm sure you can
understand the position we (and many, many other companies) are in very well.
We're not trying to leave you out or not give you the respect as users that you
deserve. It's simply that we don't have unlimited time or money to play with, so
we have to make hard decisions.

And as we prove that the concept of real virtual building is worth the effort
(as in kids are actually getting into the concept), we'll be able to expand our
efforts.

Jake
---
Jake McKee