 LEGO Company / 208
  Got some new news on Enfield Plant closing

Hope it hasn't been mentioned earlier. When I heard about the Enfield closing, I sent a letter to LEGO in Denmark, asking why the sets were simplified and if the sets would still be packaged in Enfield. I got the following back on an (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Got some new news on Enfield Plant closing

In lugnet.dear-lego, Kevin McMillin writes: <snip> The news articles all got it right and correctly identified molding as ceasing. There's a nuance there, though, in that they're saying that they will continue to pack sets (using pieces molded (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Got some new news on Enfield Plant closing

I still fail to see how this will save them money, unless: 1 - having the extra sets of molds/machines is killing production costs 2 - the raw ABS is ONLY available from Europe. I can't see how molding the bricks overseas and shipping them to the US (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Got some new news on Enfield Plant closing

(...) Well, according to (URL) letting 1,000 people go they save £83Mil(122,159,397 USD) I'm not sure. Kevin <snip of Larry's post> (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Got some new news on Enfield Plant closing

(...) be (...) and (...) costs (...) This seems glaringly obvious to me but apparently is eluding many. It is probably cheaper to ship molded parts to the US then to ship molded parts to Europe. If the plant in Enfield was shipping more to Europe (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Got some new news on Enfield Plant closing

(...) I believe they were only molding basic bricks at the Enfield plant. Considering how few basic bricks are in the current sets, it probably bade good business sense to shut it down. I wonder if they will discontinue bulk buckets and tubs? KL (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Got some new news on Enfield Plant closing

(...) <snip> (...) Lets try a different approach to understanding this. TLC recently opened a new production facility in the Czech Republic. This is talked about in this press release... (URL) The important part is the last lines in the release "It (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Got some new news on Enfield Plant closing

(...) Concerning only basic bricks being moulded in the US... There is currently another thread about shipping containers being lost overboard while travelling across the Atlantic, (URL) inventory only showed special elements, which may confirm your (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Got some new news on Enfield Plant closing

As Kevin L also noted, AFAIK, the bricks molded in the US were only destined for the Americas. (...) -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay Area DSMs (24 years ago, 24-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)

  Re: Got some new news on Enfield Plant closing

(...) LEGO gets their ABS for Europe from Bayer. The U.S. Supply comes from GE. In other words, they can get the ABS from wherever they want to put a factory but it might take time to get the vendor up to speed. (URL) (many pages about LEGO and (...) (24 years ago, 25-Dec-00, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego)