 LEGO Company / 210
Re: Got some new news on Enfield Plant closing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 23:18:29 GMT

I still fail to see how this will save them money, unless:
    1 - having the extra sets of molds/machines is killing production costs
    2 - the raw ABS is ONLY available from Europe.

I can't see how molding the bricks overseas and shipping them to the US will be
cheaper than molding them here UNLESS the raw ABS is only available overseas and
they are currently shipping it HERE to be molded.  Even then, the shipping costs
will be GREATLY increased, as molded bricks take up MUCH more volume than raw
pellets.

The extra machines can't be a factor, they'll either be destroying them or
shipping them to another plant, in which case they'll still be producing more
molds for those machines.  Unless they want MORE machines in one plant capable
of spitting out a bigger variety of pieces at any one time.

Personally, I think they should have kept the machines here, and shifted them
over to the specialized pieces for Bulk.

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.dear-lego, Kevin McMillin writes:

<snip>

The news articles all got it right and correctly identified molding as
ceasing. There's a nuance there, though, in that they're saying that they
will continue to pack sets (using pieces molded elsewhere only, instead of a
mix of molded in Enfield and elsewhere).

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.

++Lar