 LEGO Company / 2023
Re: Color Names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 05:51:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Richard Morton wrote:

Let's flip that around though - supposing the community/LSC/whoever came up
with the concept of the AFOL Universal Pallette. This could be the list of
all the colors, with the color names that we as a community decide and a
color ID. If this could be implemented as a subscribable service - ie,
various resources could have an account, so they can alias their systems to
the universal one, then it would be easy to translate.

An example,
Let's assume that the universal color record for white is
ID: 1001
Color Name: Bright White

Bricklink could come in and say - ah, on my site, I know this color as
'White' and it's BLID is '1'
As more systems subscribe (such as LDraw, Peeron, whoever) then translating
between them becomes super easy and somewhat official. As an extra, the only
changes that would need to be made on Bricklink is an extra field in the
color table of the database to hold the universal ID (even though BL would
continue to use the BLID internally, just like it does now). The universal
ID is never going to change, so once it is set per color, you could forget
about it.
This means that BL/Peeron/whoever could carry on using whatever names they
want, yet translating between them is still easy.

In this model, LEGO themselves would be set up as a subscriber in the
universal database. So even if Lego name their white 'Quite bright white
with a hint of gray', then we can still translate it to the '1001 Bright
White' record in the universal system and thus on to 'White' in Bricklink
and whatever else.

This is all reasonably easy to do and I have been doing a very simplified
version of this for BrikTrak for a while now. If LDraw/LSC could 'own' and
implement this, then it could be quite easy to adopt for all the sites out
there.

I've been spending quite a lot of time recently mapping out BL colors to the
official LEGO ones and I'm more than happy to give away the data I have so
far if we are going to organise some sort of system.

I've been working on such a cross reference myself (see also my recent post in
lugnet.general) and at this moment I have a simple excel sheet which list all
BL, Peeron and LEGO names and the ones I was able to match, are matched.

Also I've been working on a simple automated tool to merge the BL parts list en
the Peeron parts list into one looking for the same numbers/descriptions. That's
not easy and the match is not yet very high.

I think the suggestion you made is very good. I'm just an AFOL for 1 year and in
this year I saw a lot of posts and ideas but no real action. Although I'm a
newbie (especially when you look to the people in this thread) I'm offering my
help whoever may need it.

Stefan Sanders