 LEGO Company / 2006
Re: Color Names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:24:38 GMT

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:06:20PM +0000, Tim Courtney wrote:
I think instead of coming together and trying to hash out universal
naming schemes for the community, it would be better to create a
cross-reference that links all of the different part systems together.
In the new linking database, each part would receive a unique ID and
number conflicts between sites wouldn't be an issue anymore.

While this has absolutly nothing to do with color names, it is a good
idea that Steve and I have been kicking around for a couple of years
now.  I know Richard from BrikTrak has already built some translation
tables between Peerl/LDraw and BL.  We could hopefully use some of that
data to prime the database, once we do have something.

The impression I get from what I know of past attempts to unify part
databases is that some key stakeholders aren't too flexible on
renaming parts in their DBs to come to a universal standard. This is
why I believe a centralized cross-reference would be a much better
alternative, and one that has a much better chance of being
successful.

You still need cooperation of all the various catalogs, otherwise
keeping the database updated would be very difficult.  For the record,
both Peeron and LDraw have been trying to work with anyone else out
there since day one.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com