 Instructions / 485
Re: Image Editing: A guide to making Building Instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:22:21 GMT

In lugnet.inst, Ahui Herrera wrote:
   VERY VERY VERY NICE!

Thank you very much.

   But might I suggest that we also need to focus on two other “BI Topics”. - Making BIs that are PRINTABLE - Making BIs for the Web

You covered the basic concept of what a good proffessional BI should look like. That is something that all BI makers should know/read/live by but the next issue becomes how to “show” the BI to the world.

I agree that these topics are important. I may not have enough knowledge to put together a tutorial for them. Hopefully, someone else would be interested.

   Take the output of LPub and putting it on Brickshelf is NOT a BI! Neither is just putting up a MLCAD file! (That however is another issue which I won’t be writing about here)

I agree again. Quality is an important factor missing in many instructions. However, having a mlcad file is sometimes better that nothing.

   Most of us supply BIs via the web and a printable file is not possible due to file size. =( Steve B. has dabbeled in making printable BIs and I think out of all the people who make custom kits and sell them with BIs his (Steve’s) ARE the best.

I’m not sure how many people have seen (in person) his train set BI book. It is a wonderful book in terms or color, quality, images, etc... Steve gave me the PPT file and its ~14MB big! So you see the delima about giving out a high quality BI file. At 14MB only broadband users are going to be able to download it and then only print it by taking to Kinkos. =( So this method is not the way to go to give out BIs but IS the best way to go when trying to print out “physically” a BI.

Which leaves us with other formats (PDF, Flash, HTM, etc...) PDF while perhaps the best in terms of file size leaves a bad taste when viewing. =( It looks good when printing on a home printer, however. =) HTM.. bla! Flash, I have found is pertty good for web viewing but the printing is still “bad”. =(

Anyways I’ve lost my train of thought....

In any case you or someone might want to focus on making articles on the issues above.

-AHui

A tutorial on printed instructions would be great. I have done this once for my custom set but I do not have much experience. It does take longer to produce the instructions and the file sizes are larger. Printing and assembling a staple bound booklet was a pain. But it looked great!

Thank you for your feedback

Ben E