 Instructions / 29
Re: Build-a-Bot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 08:19:27 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Firstly, I want to clarify that I'm building a harpsichord, not a piano.
(The harpsichord is a predecessor to the piano).  The tension of the 61
strings on my LEGO harpsichord is about 325 lbs.  The tension of over 200
strings on a piano is about 40,000 lbs.--something I doubt LEGO can manage.
Even still, I'm "cheating" a bit with the tuning pegs.  I've melted Technic
holes with glue so that the pins are secure enough to hold pitches, yet are
able to turn.

Anyways, here's a little preview of the first sounds being played on my LEGO
musical instrument:

http://www.henrylim.org/Arpeggio.MPG

-Henry

In lugnet.inst, Luke Ma writes:
I can't wait to hear it!  In fact, what I REALLY want to do is to play it :)
Short of that, it'll be interesting to see what sort of setup he's got in
the piano.  The tensile forces of the strings are fairly extreme and to
stabilize it with legos must be hard.  Then again, I've learned not to doubt
the ability and limit of legos.  I hope he does write a score for it...would
be fitting for the lego piano (harpsichord) to be christened by a lego
score.  I wonder if there's a Lego theme song..or an AFOL theme song :)
On a similar note (to big insane constructions) how's your SuperMech coming
along?  I also can't wait to see the end result of THAT masterpiece...  With
the cameras and all those RCX's, I can see some awesome programs
possible...like tracking passerbys and waving to them...or shaking their
hand and such.  Not that the thing itself wouldn't be cool enough :)

Sonic

"Eric Sophie" <mylegomaster@cs.com> wrote in message
Thanks! That's sounds like an interesting program. Cool deal. Hey Luke, • what
do you think of the REAL Piano Henry Lim is building! Plus, when he's • done,
we're gonna be able to hear a real musical score played on a real Lego
Musical Instrument! I'll bet he'll write an original score.

Legomaster