 Harry Potter / 1369
Re: Spoiler!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 00:57:04 GMT

In lugnet.harrypotter, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   The Harry Potter books are easier reading than Tolkien (I’m already done with The Order of the Phoenix). I would say LOTR is the greater work while the Potter books are more accessible.

Depends on your criteria. Harry Potter is clearly a greater work as far as literacy is concerned, because kids who have had no interest in ready books (shame on them) have suddenly found something to inspire them to do so (even the kid who plays Potter didn’t like to read until after he’d been cast and he decided that maybe he should take the time to see what the books were all about before filming started). LotR has not had nearly as profound an impact on literacy rates, nor has it sold nearly as fast as the HP series. It’s probably a much more refined literary work, but I’ve always felt that mass popularity shouldn’t be completely ignored when labelling an individual work as “great”. All things considered, Star Wars is easily the most successful individual movie in motion picture history, as well as being one of the most influential on the movie industry in general, but it ranked pretty low on the AFI’s “Best 100 Movies” list. Whether the critics acknowledge it or not, the Harry Potter series has managed to tap a bigger vein than LotR did, and it’s entirely because it was written for kids to read. If it was written at an adult reading level, it could have gone through the entire run being constantly being called “the next LotR”, just like Jordan’s Wheel of Time series. Instead it’s been able to stand on its own, and in twenty years they’ll probably be calling some other series “the next Harry Potter”.