 Harry Potter / 1368
Re: Spoiler!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:45:05 GMT

In lugnet.harrypotter, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   The Harry Potter books are easier reading than Tolkien (I’m already done with The Order of the Phoenix). I would say LOTR is the greater work while the Potter books are more accessible.

I like Tolkien’s general storyline (and this is why I do enjoy the films so far), but I dislike his storytelling style. Frankly, I think he needed a very good editor, and then to listen to that editor very carefully. I’m almost done with the first book and all I can say is that almost nothing has happened and none of the characters are particularly more fleshed out than they ever were -- in other words, these characters are generally as flat as pancakes. There are also annoying digressions like the part about Tom Bombadil. Yeah, yeah -- I get that Tom and his consort are something like the Green Man and The Goddess, but so what? Their presence in the story amounts to nothing. Now, not everything has to move the story along, but the presence of pointless digressions coupled with rather flimsy characterization is trying my patience. After several previous aborted attempts to read this stuff, I have promised myself to slog through it for real this time. But Jeez...

Replies should follow to lugnet.off-topic.fun, we are off HP material now.

-- Hop-Frog